Friday 10 November 2017

LAUN603, EXTENDED PRACTISE, STUDY TASK 1, TESTING FOR SHADERS, TEXTURES

CREATING SKIN SHADERS USING DISPLACEMENT MAPS AND SUB SURFACE SCATTERING

My purpose for this research is to get my head around building my own shaders, especially using displacement maps and sub surface layers. To help me create my skin surface for my sausage character for my rig. Starting on basic skin I feel is the best approach and then once I have perfected it move onto my
sausage texture for my model.


First I got hold of lots of deep scan data from "infinite realities" including displacement maps and specular roughness map.


Displacement map

Map I used for Specular roughness


Then it was a case of about 2 hours in maya fiddling about with the Arnold standard surface shader. My huge improvement here is my ability to use the Hypershade window to good effect, previously I bumbled around in the attribute editor but now I have got my head around the hypershade I find it a complete revelation as it is just so easy to see the network of nodes I am are creating, and it is a really methodical visual way of working.

I did 7 major passes over my model to create my final skin shader and so threw them in after effects to make it a better visual way to see the stages in a little video.





In reflection it is not perfect but I am very happy with the displacement and it has opened up a lot of options for me to add the wrinkles and pitting needed for my sausage skin, also
building my surface in layers which will be invaluable for my sausage 
meat sub surface variations.

THIS IS A GUIDE I USE FOR SKIN CREATION IT IS A HANDY REFERENCE CHECKER
And now for a quick sausage modelling 
and shading experiment

In this exercise I did not waste time getting UV map seams perfect, and I modelled the sausage in 10 minutes, it was purely a trial about making my own textures in Ps and applying them to a standard surface shader and playing about with the parameters to see what layered effect I could create. I am very happy with the blood like effect coming from the deep sub surface layer, and dare I say it the maggots in the flesh appeal to me too. There is a lot from this few hours experimenting process that I can confidently take into my final modelling process for my character.
SHADERS FOR BIRD CHARACTERS

HERE IS JUST A SMALL COLLECTION OF THE SHADERS, UV MAPS, BUMP MAPS, DISPLACEMENT MAPS, ETC THAT I HAVE MADE TO USE BE 
USED ON MY BIRD MODELS. 

ALL OF MY UV MAPS ARE MADE BY MYSELF IN PHOTOSHOP USING SOFT BRUSHES AND GRADIENT OVERLAYS.



EYE UV MAPS

BEAK VECTOR DISPLACEMENT MAPS




EYE CONTOUR UV MAP
BUTTON BUMP MAPS






SKIN BUMP MAPS


 EYE UV MAP



BEAK WITH LIPSTICK UV MAP



EYE CONTOUR UV MAP
EYE BUMP MAP


BOW UV AND BUMP MAP



EYE UV


SKIN CRACK DISPLACEMENT MAP


EYE CONTOUR BUMP MAP
FABRIC BUMP MAP


SKIN BUMP MAP


FABRIC DISPLACEMENT MAP



SSS SKIN UV MAP

DIFFUSE SKIN UV SHADER

SACK UV MAP

 SACK DISPLACEMENT MAP
 SACK ALPHA MASK
ATTACHED TO ARNOLD OPACITY VALUE NODE TO MASK OPACITY 
OF BELOW SHADER TO CREATE FRAYED EDGES AS SEEN BELOW


STOP TO THIS BLOG

Through speaking with tutors on the content of this production blog and its subsequent size I am stopping this textures and shaders blog here before it gets out of hand in its size.
Lets just say there are hundreds more images like these as I have made, tried, tested, and used hundreds of textures and shaders on this project.




















No comments:

Post a Comment